On-Demand Training Powered by IBACOS
Building for Performance
Building materials and construction methods have improved in recent decades. In the face of this progress, however, building performance issues, including mold growth, decreased durability, and poor indoor air quality, are increasing. In this course we present reasons for the rise in performance issues and explain that to perform well, a home must be designed, constructed, and operated as a system.
Throughout this course, we've included various construction practices to illustrate the building performance principles being discussed. Not all construction practices will be appropriate to use in your local conditions.
This technical training addresses the causes of builder performance issues and explains design and construction methods and solutions for preventing building performance problems. This program is intended for anyone interested in expanding their knowledge on designing and constructing homes to prevent building performance problems.
Building for Performance contains six modules:
- Module 1, Building performance and you, contains two lessons. We'll establish a broad definition for building performance, and you'll learn about homeowners' expectations for performance. We'll also discuss how building performance affects your success and the success of your company.
- Module 2, Gravity, wind, earth, and building performance, contains four lessons. In this module, you'll review basic facts about gravity, wind, and earth movement, including earthquakes. You'll learn how these natural occurrences impact building performance and which design and construction techniques can minimize damage.
- Module 3, Air movement and building performance, contains three lessons. In these lessons, you'll learn how stack effect, wind, heating and cooling systems, and mechanical ventilation move air through and within the building envelope. You'll review related building performance issues as well as design and construction methods to control air flow.
- Module 4, Water and building performance, contains three lessons. We will review basic facts about water and water vapor and explain how they move through the building envelope by gravity, wind, capillary action, air flow, and diffusion. You'll see the impact water can have on a home and we'll provide design and construction methods to minimize water damage.
- Module 5, Heat transfer and building performance, contains three lessons. You'll learn about heat movement via radiation, conduction, and convection, and the ways it impacts building performance. Then, we'll review design and construction methods to control heat transfer.
- Module 6, The home as a system, contains two lessons. In this module, you'll learn how a change to one component of the home, for example, the foundation, can positively or negatively impact other components. You'll also explore the impacts occupants and the environment have on building performance.
Once you complete this program, you should be able to do the following:
- Understand homeowner expectations of a home's performance, acknowledge the impact building performance issues have on homebuilders, and explain why building performance issues are on the rise.
- Describe the impact gravity, wind, and earth each have on a home, explain the building performance issues each can cause, and recount solutions for preventing problems.
- Explain air movement through the building envelope, describe the building performance issues it can cause, and explain solutions for preventing problems.
- Explain water movement across and through the building envelope, describe the performance issues it can cause, and explain solutions for preventing problems.
- Describe heat transfer through the building envelope, explain the building performance issues it can cause, and recount solutions for preventing problems.
- Explain the home as a system that has relationships among building components, and that is impacted by the occupants as well as environmental conditions.
This online learning experience has been designed to allow busy industry professionals to engage in the material at their own pace.
REGISTRANTS HAVE 60 DAYS AFTER PURCHASE TO COMPLETE THE TRAINING.
BONUS LEARNING OPPORTUNITY: We will be offering one 30-minute live Q&A session each quarter for attendees of our online technical courses. Sessions will be open forum format with learners from across the country. Receive valuable guidance from one of our industry experts and hear from other learners in similar positions.
One attendee / one program from our on-demand technical training library:
$250 per attendee / per program
Multiple attendees or multiple programs from our on-demand technical training library:
$200 per attendee / per program*
*MUST REGISTER ALL ATTENDEES AT THE SAME TIME OR COMPLETE REGISTRATION FOR MULTIPLE PROGRAMS ON THE SAME DAY TO QUALIFY FOR THE MULTI-ATTENDEE / MULTI-PROGRAM DISCOUNT.
Prices subject to change without notice. Payment is required at the time of registration.